Subject: this free listserv, for example

From: William Beaty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 19:45:37 -0700 (PDT)

Jack and Remi:

This is an old unused list server still on my eskimo account.  (Just reply 
to this message to converse.)  I subscribed Jack S. and Remi C., no 
other subscribers.

It's called "webhead-L," but name easily changed.   It once was a science 
museum exhibits designer forum.

If not wanting to use eskimo.com unix shell, another option is the 
newsgroup-like forums provided free as Google Groups.

For example, the cold fusion professional community finally branched off 
of Vortex-L and founded CMNS forum on google groups.  It appears like a 
1990s usenet newsgroup, accessible on www, but also is distributed as 
email.  They have CMNS fourm set to private view, invitation-only free 
membership.

   CMNS condensed-matter nuclear science
   https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cmns

(must be a subscriber to view their page.)

(((((((((((((((( ( (  (   (    (O)    )   )  ) ) ))))))))))))))))
William J. Beaty            http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
beaty, chem washington edu  Research Engineer
billb, amasci com           UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
x3-6195                     Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700

---

From: JACK SARFATTI <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 20:12:24 -0700

contact brian josephson on cold fusion

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 7:45 PM, William Beaty <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Jack and Remi:
> 
> This is an old unused list server still on my eskimo account.  (Just reply to this message to converse.)  I subscribed Jack S. and Remi C., no other subscribers.
> 
> It's called "webhead-L," but name easily changed.   It once was a science museum exhibits designer forum.
> 
> If not wanting to use eskimo.com unix shell, another option is the newsgroup-like forums provided free as Google Groups.
> 
> For example, the cold fusion professional community finally branched off of Vortex-L and founded CMNS forum on google groups.  It appears like a 1990s usenet newsgroup, accessible on www, but also is distributed as email.  They have CMNS fourm set to private view, invitation-only free membership.
>

---

From: William Beaty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 15:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

I've subscribed you, Jack, and Remi C. to this long-unused e-list called 
"webhead-L."

Replies to this message will go to all.

If Jack wants to go ahead with this, just start using it.  Here's 
subscribe instructions: http://amasci.com/ffysiks/rules.txt.  I can get 
the eskimo ISP to change the name to FFysiks-L or whatever desired.

A down-side of e-lists is the lack of cc, where the silent audience 
remains unknown except to the list owner.  (I'd also suggest requiring 
"sigs" on messages:  no anonymous subscribers, give real names and 
pershaps some contact info.) Let me see if I can expose the subscriber 
list for outside viewing:  http://amasci.com/ffysiks/dist

Nope, didn't work.  Here's a copy:   http://amasci.com/ffysiks/dist2

If no interest, I'll just delete the current subscribers.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016, Brian Josephson wrote:
> I'm not sure.  One great advantage of having an internet group is that 
> you have control over how you receive emails, e.g. get a daily digest, 
> or even only look on the web.  The disadvantage is its inflexibility. 
> [snip]     But any way to get fewer emails would be welcome.